Ethiopian journal editors forum (ejef)
About the ejef
The Ethiopian Journal Editors’ Forum (EJEF) is a network of Ethiopian scientific editors that was established under the auspices of the Ethiopian Academy of Sciences on October 4, 2019. EJEF was formed by 54 editors drawn from higher education institutions, professional societies and research institutions. EJEF is dedicated to promoting the quality of Ethiopian research journals and the creation of an enabling environment for research and scholarly publishing. The Forum is assigned with the responsibility of organizing capacity-building training for its members and emerging researchers, facilitating the introduction of relevant technologies to enhance the efficiency of journal publishing practices, working in partnership with policymakers for the strengthening of national standards for scholarly publishing, fostering collaborations with similar networks and other partners to promote knowledge generation and dissemination for the good of society.
- Provide an institutional platform for dialogue and understanding among journal editors and other key stakeholders on strategies for creating a conducive environment for journal publishing in Ethiopia;
- Build the capacity of editors with the aim of improving the quality of journals published in Ethiopia;
- Improve communication, networking and collaboration among journal editors in Ethiopia and their colleagues elsewhere in the world;
- Develop and/or promote policies, ethics and guidelines for raising and sustaining the standard and quality of journal publishing in Ethiopia;
- Promote initiatives for nurturing a vibrant culture of research and scholarly publishing;
- Pave the way for the transformation of the Forum into a legally registered association.
- Developing and implementing strategies, projects and action plans for the transformation of the Forum into a national association of Ethiopian scholarly editors;
- Promoting a policy for recognition of scientific editing as a profession and the provision of benefits and privileges commensurate with the editors’ status and achievements within academic or research institutions;
- Initiating and implementing capacity building programs for Ethiopian journal editors and support staff;
- Mobilizing resources for implementing the program activities of the Forum;
- Developing and promoting policies, codes of ethics, guidelines, etc., for use by journal editors, researchers and other stakeholders;
- Facilitating the sharing of information, experience, resources and expertise among journal editors as well as journal publishers;
- Promoting national and institutional policies, strategies and programs for enhancing the quality of journal editing and the standards of journals published in Ethiopia, including journal accreditation;
- Facilitating maximum utilization of journals in academia, the development community and among policy makers;
- Initiating and promoting institutional strategies for the creation and sustainability of an enabling work environment for journal editors, peer reviewers, and contributing authors within journal publishing institutions;
- Promoting initiatives for the establishment of a national online database of Ethiopian scholarly publications and researchers;
- Popularizing new technologies for standardizing scholarly journal editing and publishing activities, including handling manuscript submission, peer reviewing, online publishing, identifying and guarding against plagiarism and predatory journals, and managing Open Source systems;
- Devising and promoting mechanisms for recognizing and rewarding excellence in journal editing and publishing.
Founding Members: Membership of the Forum is open to researchers with a direct editorial role as editor-in-chiefs, deputy editors, associate editors, managing editors, copy editors, or editors with other designations, of scholarly journals published in Ethiopia by any public or private institution and professional society with a legal status. Unless the publisher indicates otherwise in writing, a journal shall be officially represented by its Editor-in-Chief or an editor with a similar status and role. To access the founding members list click the following link.