The Ethiopian Academy of Sciences (EAS) is a membership-based, not-for-profit organization officially recognized as an independent national body through Proclamation No. 783/2013. The Academy conducts consensus studies, provides evidence-based advice to the government, promotes excellence in research, offers capacity-building training, organizes public lectures and dialogues, disseminates pertinent scientific, cultural, historical and educational works, and encourages innovations in the sciences and technology.
Vacancy Position: Executive Director
The Executive Director provides managerial leadership to the operational activities and organizational development of the Academy. She/he oversees the development and implementation of the Secretariat’s annual and strategic activity plans, fosters collaborations and builds national/international partnerships, mobilizes resources, strategizes the Academy’s growth, and spearheads the attainment of the Academy’s mission and strategic objectives.
The eligible candidate should have a demonstrable capacity to:
1. initiate and lead institutional growth and transformation;
2. introduce innovative approaches and strategies for addressing latent and emerging institutional challenges;
3. initiate and manage resource mobilization, including generating sustainable institutional income;
4. build coalitions and networks, and diversify national, regional and international partnerships;
5. build the image and stature of a scientific institution.
Professional Attributes and Leadership Skillsets Needed
- Well-reputed scholar with a track record of impressive publications especially in internationally acclaimed and/or indexed journals and books by well-respected academic publishers;
- Well-established international stature as demonstrated by coveted awards won and/or professional citations/certificates received, and/or leadership roles in highly competitive post/s or regional/international research projects;
- Effective leadership rendered to national and/or international research/academic institutions as demonstrated by tangible achievements registered in institutional growth and/or transformation, grants won for the institution, partnerships secured or expanded, new programs initiated, or societal impacts registered, etc.;
- Readiness and demonstrable capacity to foster a productive relationship with Regional State and/or Federal Government agencies, and/or bilateral or multilateral agencies and partners;
- Skilled in grant proposal writing, strategic planning, monitoring and evaluation;
- Innovativeness, relevance, and feasibility of new vision and strategy proposed for the institutional growth and transformation of EAS;
- Intimate familiarity with the mission, purpose and roles of Science Academies;
- Interpersonal skills, team builder, ability to work under stress, excellent communicator in both English and Amharic, spoken and written;
Educational qualification: PhD in Science, Technology, Health, Agriculture, Social
Science, or related field/s.
Work Experience: Minimum 10 years of relevant work experience, out of which 6 years
in senior management position.
Staff Benefits: Transport service, telephone allowance, medical allowance, and pension if
below retirement age.
Application deadline: 25 th June 2020.
Required application documents: Motivation letter, up-to-date CV, copies of educational credentials and other supporting documents.
Submission of application documents: Send all documents to the following EAS addresses:
- Send electronic copies of all documents by email to:
2.Send print copies of all application documents either by registered mail to: P.O. Box 32228, Addis Ababa,
Phone: +251 112 595750/0112590930, or deliver by hand to the Secretariat’s Administration and Finance Office,
Gulele Sub-City, Woreda 9, House No. 199, at Blaten Geta Heruy Woldesellassie’s former residence.