Ethiopian Academy of Sciences Job Vacancy
The Academy invites eligible candidates to apply for the following vacant posts.
POSITION: Assistant Editor
Application Deadline: 28th December 2020
Under the direction of the Editor of the Ethiopian Academy Press, the Assistant Editor provides support at all stages of the publishing process, including soliciting/collecting manuscripts, to reviewing, copy-editing, printing, marketing and promotion.
2.Qualification and Competencies
- MA Degree in the Social Sciences, Humanities or Natural Sciences or other relevant fields;
- 4-6 years of editorial work, academic communication and writing experience;
- Familiarity with book publishing processes;
- Skills in using MS Office, InDesign, Illustrator or other publishing tools;
- Familiarity with SEO and social media platforms;
- Proficiency in written English and Amharic.
3.Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Registers, archives, and presents highlights of new manuscripts;
- Organizes and follows up reviews of manuscripts;
- Liaises with authors, reviewers and booksellers;
- Checks review comments and revisions;
- Copy-edits manuscripts and galley proofs;
- Develops cover designs and text layouts;
- Follows up printing processes;
- Follows up the distribution and sales of published books;
- Devises and executes marketing and promotion strategies;
- Develops book projects;
- Performs other related duties.
- One year, renewable based on performance and the availability of funds.
5.Salary and benefits
- As per the Academy’s salary scale and benefits package.
Submission of Applications
- Qualified applicants are invited to send their application letter (max 1 page) with their latest CV through email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Women are especially encouraged to apply.
- Application documents should include supporting evidence of previous achievements and experiences, with testimonials from previous supervisors.
- Please note that only those candidates meeting the job requirements will be contacted for written and oral screening tests.