Research Communication for Greater Impact
Workshop duration: 11 – 15 March 2019
Place: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia | Venue: TBD
Workshop language: English
Application deadline: 15 February 2019, 05:00 p.m. Addis Time
The Ethiopian Academy of Sciences (EAS) and Population Reference Bureau (PRB) are currently accepting applications for their training workshop on research communication, that will be held from 11 – 15 March 2019 in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. PRB and EAS are co-hosting this workshop with funding from the David and Lucile Packard Foundation.
The Workshop is for Ethiopian researchers who are committed to research that informs policy process and decision making, and are interested in broadening their research communication skills to present (their) complex research findings simply, concisely and in a compelling manner to policymakers.
The Workshop aims to help participants:
- Understand how research and program results can influence policy.
- Learn how to be strategic in policy communication approaches in order to influence policy change.
- Develop effective communication skills for giving compelling evidence-based oral presentations to policy audiences.
The Workshop will be rigorous and highly participatory with group learning environment and interactive sessions. Participants will be required to complete pre-workshop readings in advance and homework will be assigned each night of the Workshop.
Participants are expected to come to the Workshop with a research topic that they have extensively researched, published and/or a research project they are managing. During the course of the Workshop, participants will get to explore their research topics from a new perspective as they learn from trainers how to communicate effectively to non-technical audiences, including policymakers. By the end of the workshop, each participant will have drafted, presented, and received feedback on a Policy Presentation on their individual research topic.
Who should apply?
The Workshop targets active Ethiopian researchers who are engaged in research that leads to policy level impact. Individuals working as researchers and/or research project managers in higher education institutions, research institutions, and think tanks are encouraged to apply.
To be considered as participants, applicants must:
- Have a graduate degree, or be currently enrolled in a graduate program pursuing Masters or PhD in development studies, demography, sociology, public health and/or others.
- Have research topics that they have researched extensively, published, and/or research projects that they manage, preferably on topics related to family planning, sexual and reproductive health, girls’ education, gender equality, migration, urbanization, the demographic dividend, and/or relevant areas related to population and development.
- Be committed to communicating research to inform policy process and decision making.
- Be proficient in communicating in English.
- Be based in Ethiopia and available for the Workshop from 11 - 15 March 2019.
The deadline for application is 15 February 2019. Applicants selected for the workshop will be contacted in early March 2019.
Cost of workshop
There is no participation fee to attend the workshop. All participants will be covered for workshop related costs. Participants coming from regional states will be covered for transportation and five nights’ accommodation from 11 – 15 March 2019. Participants based in Addis Ababa will receive a transportation allowance.
About the organizers
EAS is established with the objectives of advancing scientific knowledge in Ethiopia and providing evidence-based advice to the Government of Ethiopia on issues of national significance.
PRB informs people around the world about population, health, and the environment. PRB also empowers people to use this information to advance the well-being of current and future generations.
Questions about the Workshop should be sent via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.