POSITION TITLE: Librarian
REPORTS TO: Lead Librarian
The Ethiopian Academy of Sciences (EAS) was launched in April 2010 and recognized by an Act of Parliament (Proclamation No. 783/2013) as an independent body mandated to provide, inter-alia, evidence-based policy advice to the Government and other stakeholders. Its major activities include undertaking consensus studies, conducting convening activities such as public lectures, conferences, workshops and symposia on issues of national priority; as well as promoting science, technology and innovation.
EAS would like to invite qualified candidates to apply for the Librarian position.
- Job summary
Under the supervision of the Lead Librarian, the Librarian is responsible for the safe keep and systematic handling of books, publications and reference materials deposited in the EAS Library. He also includes: acquisition, maintenance and lending books, periodicals, publications, studies, maps and other related reference materials vital to EAS operations.
- Specific duties and responsibilities
- Prepares annual budget estimates of the library;
- Registers, classifies and catalogues all new books;
- Manages the library facility to provide flexible access to the resources at the point of need;
- Maintains records for all books and publications in the Library; loans and collects them according to library rules;
- Promotes widespread use of the Library facilities by interested staff of EAS to keep abreast with current trends and new technological developments;
- Arranges proper layout and display of newspapers and periodicals for spot reading;
- Prepares, maintains and distributes a list of newly acquired books and other reference materials of interest and practical use to EAS staff members;
- Arranges for the renewal or replacement of worn-out books in the Library;
- Maintains stock cards and conducts annual inventory of all books in the Library;
- Ensures the timely return of loaned books and takes appropriate steps to recover lost or overdue books;
- Signs on check-out slips for resigning or terminated staff after checking that loaned books and materials are returned or costs are recovered;
- Contacts local and foreign agencies to encourage or seek donations of books and other reference materials useful to EAS operations;
- Reviews requisitions and specifications of books before passing them to procurement;
- Initiates requisitions for books that are useful for EAS’s purposes and should be placed in the Library;
- Submits quarterly progress ports on the activities of the Library;
- Initiates ideas and projects that would ultimately help in establishing e-library system;
- Initiates links with other institutions providing library service so that EAS staff and members could get access to reference materials available in their libraries;
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Supervisor.
- Minimum Qualifications
- BA in Library Science or related field.
- 2/4 years of relevant work experience.
- TECHNICAL AND OTHER SKILLS
- Knowledge of the principles of library science in classifying and indexing books and reference materials;
- Knowledge of the standard rules and regulations governing libraries;
- Ability to correspond with publishers, borrowers and donors;
- Good skills in computer applications.
How to Apply
Interested applicants who meet the above requirements should submit their application letter with their CV; indicating the position applying for on the subject line of the email only within 10 working days from the date of this announcement through: E-mail: email@example.com.